Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Cloth Diapers are Easy and Inexpensive



     My goal is to show the world how easy it is to cloth diaper a baby. Hold on to your child's (soon to be) cloth-diapered-rear! =)

     First, to get a visual, you need to understand what kind of cloth diaper we use. I really enjoy Cotton Babies! For 6 months my daughter exclusively wore the bumGenius! 4.0 One Size Stay Dry pocket diaper with snap closure (she's 8 months old and has already figured out how to undo the velcro). So, snaps it is. Okay, moving on.

     When my husband and I made the decision for me to be a stay at home Mom with our two children, we both realized we needed to make a commitment to saving money and make our decision feasible. It's still amazing to me just how much 'tunnel' vision I had as a mom. We threw so much money towards buying thousands of diapers and wipes verses 18 cloth diapers and cloth wipes in a continual rotation that have a reputation to last past potty training because you can adjust the size as they grow, trash bags to hold disposables verses washing one load of diapers each day, multiple trips to the store clear across town each week for disposables verses no trips to the store and rash ointments upon rash ointments from disposables verses NO rash and thus, no ointments. Cloth diapering has saved me way more money (and time) than anyone can estimate. Seriously.

     I knew all about the hassle of disposables from my first child. I had NO idea there were other options. I had NO idea cloth diapers were any more advanced than cloth folded and pinned around a baby. I had NO clue, until I had my second child, Moriyah. She had such sensitive skin that many kinds of disposables would make her bum-bum rash and break open like crazy. Not fun. So, after trying at least 10 different kinds of disposables and chemical-filled ointments, I turned to the internet to find other options. After doing some research, I found out that most disposables are filled with chemicals and toxins bad for baby and the environment. This is when the door to cloth diapering benefits, was opened (angels singing in the background).=) Just knowing that all those harmful chemicals were not touching my baby made it easier to start cloth diapering and not look back.

      I love cloth diapers in so many ways.

     The diapers are cute and they make outfits much easier because you can have them as bottoms/pants. Two in one. In the summer, 'Riyah wore bottom-less dresses that matched them and you couldn't even tell they were diapers! Now that it's winter, I make her leg warmers and she can still sport them with just a long sleeved shirt and warmers! Perfect!
Also, this makes for easy access for diaper changes instead of having to peel layer after layer off to get to an ugly disposable.  I've recently learned how to decorate our cloth diapers so they're more personalized! (read my tutorial here).

     They keep baby 'Riyah's butt DRY! The material that is next to her skin sucks any moisture away from her bum and to the thirsty insert inside the pocket. Since it is a pocket diaper, you can easily customize how much absorbency your baby needs! You can't do that with disposables. So at night, we double up the inserts because she wets heavier at night. Her inserts can be dripping wet, but her bum will be dry as a bone, which prevents diaper rash!!! LOVE! This actually makes our diaper changes faster with cloth than disposable because I don't have to apply any preventative creams or ointments and I don't have to apply any to heal her either because she doesn't have that issue now that we've switched to cloth!

     Poop issue is minimal. MINIMAL, I TELL YOU!!! The band of elastic around the legs and her back prevent ANY leaks. I can honestly say that she's NEVER had the poop explosion up the back while wearing these. Since she was exclusively breastfed until she was 6 months, we didn't need to worry about the factor of getting solid poops out of the diaper before washing. Exclusive breastfed poop is very thin, naturally, so it washes out easily and great in the washer! Now that she's on solids, I have a system where I take the poopy diapers and use a diaper sprayer to spray off the firm poo into the toilet and then throw the cloth diaper load in the wash. This makes laundering them even easier than it already is! My hands never touch poop. Oh, and yes, I easily installed the diaper sprayer myself and yes, it took me less than 5 minutes. I know some might think it is gross to wash a little poo and pee in the washer, but guess what? It's not. I know because the diapers are 'squeaky' clean when they come out and my washer tub is spotless, as well.

     Changing her cloth diapers is easy-peasy. So, 'Riyah has a wet. I lay her down on the changing table and get out her cloth diaper. (In the photo, you'll notice there are a number of snaps to accommodate your baby's size as they grow. One diaper fits from from 7 to 35 lbs.)
Then, I 'stuff' the diaper with desired inserts to adjust to her needed absorbency. (Each 4.0 diaper comes with one One-Size Insert that is adjustable for sizing accommodations and one Newborn Doubler).

In the photo, to give you a visual of where and how, I used a colored book instead of the inserts as you could not see very well with the white inserts going into the white diaper.

     Next, I unsnap and remove her soiled/wet diaper and place it in a 'dry pail' (Ours looks like this. When the tote/'dry pail' gets full with usually 8 or 9 diapers for ours, it is time to do a wash). I use cloth wipes and water to get her bum clean, as well, which also go in the 'dry pail'. Then I place the clean and newly 'stuffed' diaper on her, pull until snug and secure with the snaps (exact same process as putting on a disposable, except there are snaps). EASY! Painless! Fast! Non-irritating!

Check out our cloth diaper routine: Part 1 here.and Part 2 here. I have added to my stash since this video. I have added the bumGenius Freetimes, Blissful Booty Perfect Pockets (my new favie), and Grovia AIO's.

(I could literally go on for days about why we love them...)

     When people notice me changing one of her cloth diapers, they gasp and stare. Literally. It's sad that more people don't know about them. They watch me and they see how simple it is and after I'm done...they ask questions. Every time, they are amazed at how easy the system of cloth diapering works. Awareness! (YAY!)

So now, it's your turn. Comment below! Ask questions! Oh...and try a cloth diaper. You never know until you've tried it.

10 comments:

  1. I will be adding our routine video shortly!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a grandmother of two cloth diapered babies. I think that it is wonderful my children are saving money, putting whats best on their children, and its good for the environment. Cloth diapering has come a long way since my children were in diapers. It is neat to choose such fun prints and changing a cloth diaper is just as easy as changing a disposable and way better for your baby... and healthier! I would recommend cloth diapers to any new mom.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my cloth diapers! I didn't really know anything about them with my first child, and I'm so disappointed that I didn't!
    They are so easy to use, no messier than a disposable and no chemicals etc. getting on my baby!
    I went a little nuts and bought almost every type of diaper to try on my daughter, and honestly I like them all! My favorites are the bumGenius!, gDiapers and Thirsties.
    I recommend cloth to everyone - and have converted a few of my friends :) Even if you only do cloth at home and use disposables when traveling you still will save tons of money!
    Plus, once your tot outgrows them, there is a huge market for second hand diapers and if you've taken care of your diapers you can usually get almost your whole initial investment back out of them! Or you could save them and keep having babies just to put them in cute diapers!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (PART ONE :-) lol, sorry, I made a really long post)

    Nice BLOG!! I enjoyed reading all of the info about Cotton Babies BumGenius cloth diapers! Glad you are using them on you're sweet lil Riyah!
    Thanks!!

    I would also like to share a few of my experiences...
    I also used disposables on my first, and yes he also had rashes! On the front and the back :-( And we had several different rash creams and ointments, even a few prescriptions because it wouldn't go away. We had to use extra sensitive wipes with him, if we used any that were scented he would get a rash almost instantly! Before we had our second we were informed by a caring family member :-) that disposables had the nasty chemicals in them as you mentioned...(which I feel bad for my son that I didn't know any of the facts of how bad mainstream disposables are...) so we switched our son to an all natural disposable (Seventh Generation) which are unbleached. Those served their purpose, but once again we were spending lots of money on case after case of diapers and just throwing them all away... which is pretty much like throwing our money away and adding to the pollution and adding to the landfills!

    Then we had our second child, a daughter, and did not want to put any diapers with chemicals in them on her, but were unsure of the cloth diapering system (and afraid)... So, we also put seventh generation disposables on her... She also had sensitive skin, so we used seventh generation wipes also. It was great to know that we weren't putting chemicals on her, but that also came with a price! We spend at least $200 or more on diapers/wipes/ointments in the FIRST MONTH! OH DEAR! As a stay at home mom myself we also started seeking out money saving options since we had another member of the family to support....

    I am getting more interested in using all natural stuff, and cloth diapers and wipes happens to be one of those options! So, I asked a family member who used cloth diapers on her child how it worked, how much it cost, what likes and dislikes there were, and if it was a hassle... and I got all positives from her, money saving, easy, awesome... awesome... and more awesome! So... I TOOK THE PLUNGE!
    I ordered some bumgenius in October (when they had a BIG sale- buy 5 get one FREE..which is a really great deal, so I got 12) Since then I have added several diapers to my stash and that helps, especially having two kids in diapers.. so I guess depending on your child's age= more or less diapers to your preference... I also ordered some bum genius detergent...
    I was sooo excited to try them... got them the NEXT day from diapers.com which is an awesome site for all your baby needs! Washed them up according to instructions and off we went! Two months later- LOVE IT! Cloth diapering comes with a sense of pride, you are doing whats best for your baby, helping the environment, and saving money! We spent an initial investment of around $200 for everything we will need through potty training for our daughter! (More $ since then, because I have found it is easy to become addicted to cloth diapering! :-) lol! Its fun to choose which color and its great to involve my toddler in making daily choices- I ask him, 'What color should sis wear this time?" and most likely he chooses green! :-) Hes a good helper!
    ...The all in one size bumgenius also fits our 28 month old son, who is 32 lbs (thankfully he is pretty much potty trained and wears big boy undies during the day and only wears diapers at night with a double insert), he is in the largest snap size and our ity bity baby girl, just over 10 lbs, is in the smallest snap size. I also prefer the snaps vs velcro because the velcro life span is usually less than a year, and the snaps can last up to 3!!

    Sorry to go on and on, but if anyone else is reading these comments maybe I can also encourage someone to make the switch to cloth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (PART TWO)

    ...More on cloth diapering system!
    ... I have a HE washer and have found that my diapers do not always get clean (even with a breastfed baby's poo...and I give my daughter Colic calm when shes fussy, which works great, but the downside is that it is black so it stains easily and it also comes out black, which makes her diapers more dirty :-( ..) so I have to do an extra wash and I put a wet bath towel in with the load to make the washing machine sensor think it is a bigger load, so the washer will use more water to wash them, and that helps. And with my son, when he has had an accident I also use a diaper sprayer, which works great!

    ...And although bumgenius diapers are great, I have found with my washer and water type that the Rockin Green detergent works better to get them clean than the bumgenius detergent did... I did also purchase a stain/odor remover- BacOut and that seemed to help too, but is a little pricy... so now I just soak my diapers and wash asap and that seems to help also. I also found that my toddlers diapers were getting a bad ammonia/pee/skunky smell :-/ eekkkk... and the rockin green also helped take care of that issue better than the other, and the once a month bleach/sanitize helps too!

    I started out still using disposable wipes and that was a hassle! Had to worry about still disposing of the dirty wipe and you were still spending money on wipes and throwing money away :-(
    So, now I use tinytush perfect cloth wipes and a squirt bottle of plain water, this seems to work best and its simple, just wet the wipe and then clean baby's bottom and you're done! Then I fold up the wipe in the dirty diaper and store in a dry pail, which works great! And isn't ridiculously stinky like a normal disposable diaper pail. I wash out the pail every time (every day or two at most) I wash diapers and it stays fresh!
    Overall, the verdict is....YES! I LOVE cloth diapers. It is an investment at first, but in my opinion way worth it in the long run! The washing process takes a bit of effort, but its worth it to do whats best for your baby, the environment, and save money, and I have just gotten used to it so it is just like second nature to me, wash diapers/hang them and go on with my day :-)
    ...And I love the different colors and prints you can choose from! I also love the rest of your blog about how you can paint your diapers, that seems so neat! Good job!!
    I have tried bumgenius and simplybaby(justsimplybaby) cloth diapers and I like them both. They both seem to hold very well, I have only had one leak with them, which was my fault because we were traveling and she got too wet and the pee leaked onto her pants :-( (sorry baby girl)
    I still consider myself a novice, with only a few months of cloth diapering under my belt...but I am excited to continue to cloth diaper and become a PRO :-)
    Whew! Sorry to ramble, but thanks for reading and I hope anyone reading this will consider giving cloth a try! ...But I'm sure its probably time to go change another diapy.. YAY! :-)
    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cloth diapers are easy and inexpensive! Hope I win these for my little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie, can you tell us how you got into cloth diapering?
    =) We wanna hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i cloth diaper because i think it is more comfortable and it would be what i would want to wear if i were a baby (and it was what i wore as a baby). I have only found positives to cloth diapering and am so glad that i was able to give my son (and future children) and clean healthy start at life. i love it so much and have never looked back (or gone to the store to buy disposables!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love love cloth dipes, especially BG's! And I would have loved reading this post when I was researching a year ago...super duper write-up, Misty!! :)

    ReplyDelete