Monday, April 23, 2012

Nursing Cover - Operation Undercover Bippy

So this morning the kids and I traveled to Wal-Mart. Ugh. I seriously dislike that place. There's only one in town so it's super packed all the time. Yes, 3 AM it's just as busy as it is at 9 AM or worse, 8 PM. My mission today was to get some supplies for Ryk' and 'Riyah's birthday bash this weekend. I'm usually the kind of person to do everything last minute, but this time, I figured I'd save myself the stress and dabble a little here and a little there of supply gathering/planning. I'm not really sure how that's going for me just yet, I'll get back to you on that one.

To Wally World we went. Came in, wiped the cart down like it was covered in fecal matter, and whisked away to the disposable utensil section. This part made me sad because I've really been striving to live my life a little greener to help out our planet and to reduce the amount of chemicals interfering with my family's health. However, it was either that or buying 40 glass plates, bowls and cups. Not enough money in our budget for that, so plastic it was.

Next stop, material. I made myself a nursing cover when I was pregnant with 'Riyah, but it never got used because she was always pulling it to the side revealing my after-baby muffin top and saggy, stretch-marked glob of a tummy. It only covered my front half, so if I wasn't wearing a nursing tank-top then most of my back was revealed, depending on the type of seating. I did a little search for nursing covers. Lots of cute designs, but nothing that covered me completely front to back. So, I decided to make my own. I scooped up my fabric selection and I couldn't get home fast enough!

'Riyah's been on an amazing sleep schedule lately. Wake up at 6:30. Nap from 10:30 til 1:30. Nap from 5 to 6. Bed at 8. I took advantage of this time today to make me my very own nursing cover. It ended up being a lot longer than what I expected, but I figured that's okay 'cause it's definitely doing it's job of covering my 'bippys' (as Ryk' calls them). =D 

::warning: awkward posing and random yardstick ahead::


 Front - There's elastic lines in the top band of the fabric so that I can easily pull it away from my chest so that I can see 'Riyah or keep it closed snug when I need to. It's over the shoulder as you can see! I also inserted an additional polka dot panel for extra room. You never know, we might just need it as a tent someday. =)

Back - LOOK AT THAT COVERAGE! No skin to peek at here!

 Here it is in action! Is it weird that I was pumped to use this in public?

Even though 'Riyah is already a year old, I still plan on nursing for a few months, at least. I know we're going to be doing a lot of outside activities this summer and this will come in handy. Plus, it's 100% cotton so it is super breathable. Ahhh, nursing in public never felt this good.

1 comment:

  1. you are just so darn smart little girl!!!!!

    ReplyDelete